Although helicopter insurance is covered through the same forms and with the same underwriting companies as fixed wing insurance, it must be approached differently and this is where experience and expertise can result in premium savings and better coverage.
Helicopters complete a lot of missions that fixed wing aircraft cannot. Therefore the insurance policy must be tailored and negotiated in a way that minimizes costs and tailors to the specific mission being covered. Here are some examples of commercial helicopter use:
- Corporate Charter Helicopter Insurance
- Law Enforcement Helicopter Insurance
- Cargo Sling Loading Helicopter Insurance
- Firefighting Helicopter Insurance
- Firefighting Support Helicopter Insurance
- EMS Helicopter Insurance
- Flight Instruction Helicopter Insurance
- Pipeline Helicopter Insurance
- Powerline Patrol Helicopter Insurance
- Oil Platform Support Helicopter Insurance
- Herding Helicopter Insurance
- Wildlife Control Helicopter Insurance
- Agricultural Spraying Helicopter Insurance
- Tours and Sightseeing Helicopter Insurance
- Aerial Photography Helicopter Insurance
- News and Traffic Reporting Helicopter Insurance
Similarly, private helicopter use by professional or owner pilots requires detailed expertise and excellent insurance company relationships.
We insure all types of helicopters including those manufactured by Robinson, Bell, Agusta Westland, Schweizer, Erickson Air-Crane, MD Helicopters, Eurocopter, Enstrom and Sikorsky.
Helicopter insurance is coverage that can protect you if
- You own a helicopter and rent it out to helicopter pilots
- You are a helicopter pilot and fly for fun
- You are a helicopter pilot and you fly rescue missions or medical evacuations
- You are a helicopter pilot and you work in the firefighting division of the U.S. Forest Service
The coverage you need will depend upon the risks involved in your particular use of your helicopter, where you fly, and other factors. For example, you you may need personal helicopter insurance if you fly for fun. If you fly as a part of a commercial operation, you may need a business insurance policy to cover your risks.
Because the specifics of your policy will vary depending upon your use and risks, it is important to work with a knowledgeable agent who can fully assess your needs and ensure that your helicopter insurance is tailored to your use.
What Does Helicopter Insurance Cover?
Your helicopter insurance policy will cover a variety of risks, including:
- Liability coverage: This portion of your policy will cover your legal responsibility in the event that you cause another person’s personal injury or property damage while flying or landing.
- Passenger liability: Passenger liability insurance is necessary if you carry passengers in your helicopter. Sometimes general liability, also called public liability, will be packaged with passenger liability, which will offer an overall coverage limit that can be applied to public liability claims, passenger liability claims, or a combination of both.
- Hull insurance: Hull insurance, which is another name for property damage insurance for airplanes and helicopters, can insure your helicopter when it is on the ground or when it is in flight. Make sure your coverage protects your helicopter from a range of risks, including theft, vandalism, damage from severe weather and damage or total loss due to an accident.
A solid helicopter insurance policy with adequate liability coverage is a must-have for helicopters since they can cause significant collateral damage to people and property.